I hate it when a fortune cookie has an aspiration instead of a fortune! And this one I got on Sunday is so vague. Does it mean unusual for me, or just unusual generally? Because I am making a Donald Duck-themed shirt to wear in public - nowhere near a theme park - on Friday.
I tacked the ribbon on with Aleene's fabric glue over the weekend. My ribbon was on sale; a grosgrain ribbon would probably not show the glue as much underneath.
After the boys got to bed, I stitched the ends down to hold them in place, then I loosely tacked the red felt ribbon down with red thread. Tonight was "Fun with Felt," but tomorrow I'll give the ribbon more dimension.
Tonight I finished my Donald-inspired cozies for Friday's nod to 83 years of the feisty duck. The Aleene's fabric glue that finishes the piece only needs a couple of hours to dry to full strength, so they can be left out while the little ones sleep. I like hot glue, but I wasn't in the mood to deal with the heating time and the cobwebby strands that float around your work.
I began with this template from Disney Family.
First, don't cut out and trace the template. Pin that template on two layers of felt and cut out two pieces at once. Felt is forgiving, and you can snip the jagged pieces once you finish to smooth the lines back out.
During my carefree cutting, I discovered that I'd not gotten the yellow felt for his collar. So I pulled out my spare embroidery threads, and the omission became a happy accident. Each collar was five to six stitches with four strands of gold thread. On one piece, I experimented by stitching the blue and white pieces together with the collar embroidery. That ended up making the final gluing much easier, and I recommend it, although your cup might be less cozy with the end threads against it.
I stitched the red bow on with an "X" of red thread in the middle. I loved the end result! The stitching made the cozies look more handmade and original, less "off the rack."
A random assortment of buttons was sewn through both the white and blue layers, and I placed a six-strand string on the other end to wrap around the button during use.
This creation would be perfect for a Copycat Dole Whip from Six Sisters' Stuff!